Alex and I have been married for ten years, but there are still things that surprise me…
…like how he can do coin tricks or how he knows all the state capitals (even the hard ones!). So, sometimes when we’re out to dinner, I like asking questions that will show me something new about him. They’re dorky but legitimately entertaining.
* If you could live somewhere else for a year, where would you live?
* What do you remember about the day we met? Or our first date? (This is always a fun one.)
* How would you describe yourself in five words?
* What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
* What did you wear as a teenager and thought looked REALLY cool? (Hypercolor!)
* What are your top three favorite movies?
* If you had to eat only one country’s cuisine for the rest of your life, what would it be?
* If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
* If you could repeat one trip you took in the past, what would it be?
* What were you really into when you were a kid?
* If you were going to get a tattoo, what would you get?
* Should we have a third baby? (Just kidding, kind of.)
For example, Alex’s top three movies are Chinatown, Rosemary’s Baby and Taxi Driver; he’d love to repeat our honeymoon; and his tattoo would be “too old to die young” by Scott Campbell. For a memory of our first date, he said, “We saw that freaky movie and you spent the whole time leaning on the other side of your seat and I kept waiting for you to lean on my side so we would touch forearms. I was worried. But I knew it was on and we’d get married when you got up to go to the bathroom at the restaurant and you ran your hand across my shoulder.”
Thoughts? Would you ask any of these? What have you been surprised to learn about your significant other?