Summer is approaching, and we’re in for some hot, humid days. What do you do with your hair on those sticky afternoons? A sleek ponytail with a sexy side part, naturally. My friend Caroline revealed how to get the look, and Jamie Beck took photos. Here goes…
This spring, there were two really big trends on the runway: a sleek, wet look, and deep side parts. I decided to combine the two and make it a little more appropriate for everyday. This style is perfect for those hot summer days when you can’t help but sweat. — Caroline
1. Brush your hair all the way through to get all the knots out and make it really smooth.
2. Create a deep side part. The deeper the better (which means: the more to the side, the better). If you have bangs, it’s ok, you can use some product like a pomade or extra hairspray keep them slicked down.
3. Comb your hair into a smooth ponytail. You can make it whatever height you want. This summer, I am loving ponies that sit right smack in the middle of your head.
4. Secure with a rubber band. Make sure it’s as tight as you can get it, you don’t want your ponytail slipping down halfway through the day!
5. Hide the rubber band with a bit of hair. (I like to do this, especially if I’m going out to dinner or drinks and want to look a little fancier.) Just take a bit of hair from the underside of the ponytail and wrap it around the band. Pin in place (with bobby pins) underneath the ponytail to secure.
6. Optional: I really like to play with opposing combinations. Masculine/feminine, sleek/messy. I love when the top half of this hairstyle is sleek, but the ponytail itself has a bit of movement and texture. Here, I backcombed the end of the ponytail to make it look messier.
Plus, two products that may help you along the way: Shine balm is a great product to help your hair look sort of wet. I take a nickel-size amount, rub it between the palms of my hands and rake it through the top half of my hair. And Elnett is always my go-to hairspray. It brushes out easily and won’t leave those pesky white flakes like other hairsprays can.
Gorgeous for summer, right? It could also be beautiful for a dressy occasion: Imagine it with red lipstick and a black dress. Thanks again, Caroline and Jamie!
P.S. Nine more hair tutorials.
(Photos by Jamie Beck for Cup of Jo. In the how-to photos, Caroline’s striped sweater is from Cardigan New York, which is offering 20% off any color Elysse sweater with the code CUPOFJO. In the outdoor photos, Caroline is wearing this baseball tee and vintage jeans (similar ones here). Her awesome shoes are black patent loafers, and you can find some on sale here. Her jewelry is from her own line, Brvtvs, and will be available soon. Her lipstick is So Chaud by MAC.