Spring is just around the bend. (26 days, but who’s counting?) We’re of the mind that if you start thinking about spring fashion, the season will arrive sooner. Here are nine trends that will be big this year. Will you try them?
1. Off-the-shoulder tops. What is so sexy about a woman’s collarbone, of all things? In my twenties, I wore a green off-the-shoulder tee on dates. And I loved when the shirt would slip off just one shoulder. Peek-a-boo silhouettes are back this spring, so take a cue from style icon Jane Birkin, and add a little sexiness to warm-weather dates and strolls around town. Picks: This and this.
2. Bold stripes. Every girl we know has a smattering of blue-and-white striped shirts in her closet. But now regular stripes are being taken up a notch. We’re loving the new bright hues, alternating thicknesses and vertical directions. Picks: This and this.
3. Raw-edge denim. Denim comes in so many great shapes these days — wide-leg, cropped, flared — but one trend that stands out is raw, hem-free edges. Subtle fraying feels cool and casual, like you just stepped off the beach in Bolinas. Picks: This, this and these.
4. Romantic florals. Pretty blooms are cropping up everywhere (seriously, everywhere). But we especially love them on romantic dresses. Picks: This and this.
5. Lingerie-inspired styles. Post-college, it’s generally not acceptable to wear your pajamas in public. But this spring, wearing loungewear in public — like a silky dress on a dinner date, or a kimono-inspired top to work — is actually encouraged. (Just try not to nap at your desk.) Picks: This and this.
6. Silver. Shiny metallic is all over the place, but can be a bit much all over your body. Wearing silver accessories instead is still fun, but keeps the look more Tinseltown than Tin Man. Picks: This and these.
7. Saddle bags. Spring’s new bags feel feminine and almost playful. With the rounded shape, they’re a lovely companion for work, drinks and running around town. The hardest question is, what color? Picks: This, this and this.
8. Flat mules. Just when you thought it couldn’t get easier than slip-ons, these backless shoes are like, “You can put us on in under two seconds.” Slipper-inspired silhouettes are available in everything from work-y loafers to weekend-ready sneakers. Picks: These and these.
9. Block heels. Ladies, let us give a collective hallelujah. This spring’s stacked-heel shoes are much easier to walk in than pumps or stilettos, but every bit as cool. I reeeeeeally wasn’t sure of them at first, but they are growing on me big time. Thoughts? Picks: These and these.
Will you try any of these? What are you most looking forward to wearing this spring?
P.S. One trend we’ll never get tired of.