What have you been up to lately? After spending so much time at home over the past couple years, Alex and I have started going out to movies or dinner together again (no kids allowed!). Here’s how a typical date night goes down…
1. Wear something that feels good. For a Saturday night out, I sometimes wear a dress (how gorgeous is this one?!), but on a weeknight, I like to keep things feeling cool and casual. I pull on a cotton shirt with a berry print, swipe a tinted oil on my lips, and choose boyfriend jeans for a laid-back vibe.
2. Check in with the little dudes. Next, I say goodbye to the boys (who are staying home with our beloved sitter). Anton is wearing this softer-than-soft hoodie, and preteen Toby is playing it cool in a chambray button down. (I love J.Crew for their last-forever kids’ clothes.)
3. Nab an early reservation. The boys are doing their homework because it’s 6 p.m. THAT’S RIGHT, WE ARE GOING TO DINNER AT 6:15 P.M. The trick to a great dinner out is an early reservation because a) you can almost always get one, b) it’s fun to watch the restaurant come alive, and c) when you come home, the kids are hopefully in bed and you get a second date night.
4. Meet at the restaurant. After hugs goodbye, I leave the house. We’ve learned that the key to a romantic evening is to meet at the restaurant. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Nothing is sexier than spotting your partner waiting for you outside the restaurant. Nothing is less sexy than getting ready together at home while the kids hang off you and you swap off peeing quickly before leaving.
5. Enjoy! Finally, Alex and I ate dinner at Frank’s, a neighborhood spot for pasta and wine. Here, I’m wearing slouchy jeans and this black coat, with a standing neckline that I LOVE and feels instantly cool and elegant. (Alex is wearing a trucker jacket and cashmere crewneck in the perfect shade of green.)
And good news: J.Crew is offering an extra 50% off sale styles and 25% off (almost) everything else. Plus, free shipping today only! Use code WARMUP. I have this in my cart. Here are a few more pretty things…
(Photography by Christine Han. This post is sponsored by J.Crew, a brand who we have worn and loved for decades. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Cup of Jo. “Anatomy” post inspiration from Dinner: A Love Story.)