What beauty products do you bring when you travel? Over the years, I’ve tried to figure out a simple makeup look that works for day and night — that way, I can feel fresh-faced while focusing on adventures, food and two wild little boys. Here are the five things I pack for every trip…
1. Diorshow Lash-Extension Effect Mascara. Until now, I thought drugstore mascaras were the same as expensive ones. But in her recent beauty uniform, this labor-and-delivery nurse with amazing lashes recommended Diorshow mascara, so I gave it a shot. And, I’m telling you, IT IS NEXT-LEVEL. You’ll look like you got extensions; I don’t even understand how it works because suddenly my eyelashes are twice as long. Your whole face looks polished and awake. On a trip, you could swipe this on and call it a day.
2. Tata Harper Lip & Cheek Tint. Multitasking makeup is never more appreciated than on the road, so I bring this little pot, which is easy to blend for a natural rosy flush on your lips and cheeks. (I use the “Very Popular” shade.) Drew Barrymore told Vogue recently that one of her beauty tricks was to use lip color on lips and another spot — like cheeks, eyelids or across the bridge of the nose. That way, there’s a “cohesive color look,” she explains. Done and done.
3. Charlotte Tilbury Eyebrow Pencil. I swear by this pencil. I’ve tried many brow products that smudge or look too harsh, but this cream pencil fills in gap with a point so fine it actually looks like your own hair. I use the other end to brush up the front of brows and make sure the color is even. And if that’s not enough, there’s a hidden highlighter under the pencil that looks so pretty under the brow and in the corners of your eyes. There you have it: the secret workhorse of travel makeup.
4. Living Proof Full Body Shampoo. My hair is pretty thin, so when I’m traveling it can get limp and flat, especially after a long flight. This shampoo adds bounce (I started using it a few months ago, and it makes a real difference) — so now I’ll be taking it on trips and not worrying about the little bottles at the hotel. (Their dry shampoo is great, too.)
5. Smith & Cult Top Coat. Do you get a manicure or pedicure before a trip? If you don’t want to chip or scuff your nails while running around town, here’s a tip: Apply a quick layer of this non-toxic top coat every few days. Poof! Your mani/pedi will last the whole time.
What do you always bring when traveling? I’d love to hear. I also bring my regular foundation, concealer and sunscreen, and I like packing free perfume samples, too!
P.S. Wise words.
(Top photo by my lovely photographer friend Anna Wolf. Product photo by Stella Blackmon. This post is sponsored by Nordstrom, a retailer I’ve loved for years and years — I actually got my prom dress there:) They have incredible customer service and offer free shipping and free returns. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that help support Cup of Jo.)