We’re looking for an executive editor to join our team. It’s a full-time position based in our Brooklyn office. Here are the details…
Cup of Jo is a multi-media company based in Brooklyn, centered around our award-winning daily women’s lifestyle site. We cover fashion, beauty, design, culture, travel, food, relationships and parenting. We have a community of more than 1 million unique readers per month — smart, enthusiastic women, who are deeply engaged with the site. We always strive to be inclusive and authentic. As Olive Kitteridge said, “There’s no such thing as a simple life.” In 2018, we’ll be bringing Cup of Jo events to more cities around the country, collaborating with brands on new products, and launching other exciting projects.
EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROLE:
The executive editor is a key part of our team. We’re looking for an experienced editor to lead audience development and growth, and work with Joanna on long-term editorial vision and strategy. You’ll generate compelling story ideas and craft new concepts, verticals and series. You’ll also work with the Cup of Jo team to engage our audience in fresh and fun ways.
In this role, you’ll work with the editorial team to keep our content evolving and impactful, including identifying new opportunities and growth areas. You’ll own all traffic and metrics, and be responsible for pulling actionable insights on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. You’ll also edit and write regularly, as well as oversee contributing writers. This is a full-time position based in our office in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.
About the ideal candidate:
* 5-10 years of editorial experience, ideally for digital publications or content-centric brands.
* Highly strategic thinker; you enjoy using data and trends to help drive action.
* Both a detailed executor and a big-picture-big-ideas person.
* Sharp editor with experience scouting and managing freelance writers.
* Curious and digitally fluent; you are constantly looking to top content sites to see what’s working and what’s not.
* Funny, warm, conversational writing style.
* An innate sense of what really matters to people and what’s interesting.
* Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
* Enthusiastic, efficient and solution-oriented.
We offer competitive salaries, health insurance and a generous vacation policy. A small team atmosphere allows us to be nimble, take ownership of new projects and move quickly in fun directions. We work from a bright, comfortable, friendly Brooklyn office.
If you’re interested, please email email@example.com with a letter about yourself, a résumé, links to your website/Instagram, three writing samples and five ideas for posts. Please also include three ideas for specific series and why you think they’d be valuable for Cup of Jo.
Very much looking forward to hearing from you, and thank you so much for your interest!
(Photo by Crystin Moritz)