The holidays are approaching quickly—along with travel, parties and hangovers. The goal is to feel fresh and pretty through it all, but it’s easy to end up bleary eyed by mid December. So, we asked makeup artist Ashlee Glazer to show us how to navigate three tricky holiday situations…
Problem: “Help! I have a holiday party in an hour. How can I look great fast?”
1. “Every makeup artist swears by YSL Touche Éclat in #2,” says Ashlee. “It’s magic for highlighting and concealing.” Apply it under your eyes, above your brow bones and along the sides of your mouth, then blend with your fingers, to look instantly brighter, prettier and more awake. Says Ashlee: “It’s expensive but it’s worth every penny.”
2. Next, a festive red lip is easiest on-the-go, since you don’t need a full mirror or super coordination. “Forget about doing a smoky eye in the back of a cab,” says Ashlee. One of her favorite lipsticks is Armani Lip Maestro in Hollywood. The stain is velvety soft and glides right on. The best part: The color lasts and lasts, so it’s perfect for nights when you’ll be talking, eating and drinking all night.
Problem: “Help! The party was great, and now I have a hangover.”
1. After washing your face, start with Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado, which is soothing and moisturizing. Gently dab it underneath your eyes using your ring finger (which is weaker than other fingers and won’t stress your delicate under-eye skin).
2. Hangovers leave your lips DRY, so exfoliate with Fresh Sugar Lip Polish with brown sugar and shea butter. Gently massage onto your lips with a finger and leave on for a few minutes. Then wipe your lips with a damp washcloth—and you’re left with smooth lips. Bonus: Exfoliating your lips makes them naturally rosy and plump.
3. Hot pink lipstick “is a secret weapon when you’re tired or hungover,” Ashlee explains. Hot pink has blue undertones, which brighten skin and make both your teeth and the whites of your eyes appear whiter. Her favorite is Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Electric Pink. Apply the color on lips and dab a bit along the cheekbones to instantly look wide awake.
Problem: “Help! I have a long flight home. How can I arrive looking fresh?”
1. Two words: SELF TANNER. The day before you travel, apply self-tanning gel. The best, according to Ashlee, is Clarins Self-Tanning Instant Gel, which goes on streak-free and doesn’t smell funny. “People associate self-tanner with the warmer months,” says Ashlee, “but you need a healthy glow even more during the winter.”
2. The Evian Facial Water Spray is a cult favorite for travel. The cool, relaxing mist feels calming and helps relieves anxiety. “It keeps skin hydrated on a long flight,” says Ashlee. “I never travel without it.”
3. For travel, the ideal products are do-it-all multitaskers. Ashlee recommends Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Passion, a flattering sheer fuchsia. Apply it to lips and cheeks during the flight to arrive looking fresh and pretty.
What are your plans this holiday season? Hosting guests? Going anywhere fun? My dad and aunt are coming to visit for Thanksgiving, and I can’t wait:)
(Photos by Vlasta Pilot for Cup of Jo. Makeup by Ashlee Glazer. Thanks to Gaby Cetrulo for modeling. This post is sponsored by Nordstrom. For years, we have loved Nordstrom for all our beauty needs. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that support Cup of Jo)