After two wonderful years, our beloved Caroline is leaving her editor job at Cup of Jo to focus on personal projects, including writing books. We’re excited for her but sad for ourselves. She was my first hire at Cup of Jo, and she has been fantastic to work with through the years. She has written epic posts on things like heartbreak, living alone and all things beauty. She’ll be missed! Thankfully, she’ll still be working full-time for the next month or so, and will contribute regularly to the blog after that.
The good news is: We’re looking for a great writer/editor to join our team. This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn. Here are the details…
We’re thrilled to be bringing on an experienced writer/editor to help continue to grow Cup of Jo. I’m looking for someone hardworking and likeminded who is a fount of ideas and is excited about working on a small, dynamic team.
About the editor role:
* Full-time position based in our office in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.
* Responsibilities include generating original ideas for posts and series; producing photo shoots and conducting interviews (like house tours and beauty uniforms); writing posts in the first- and third-person voice; scouting contributors/writers for longer-form essay posts (like this and this) and editing them; writing blurbs for posts and our weekly email; scouting products and producing round-up posts; helping with social media; and collaborating on all things editorial.
* Commitment of at least one year.
* Competitive salary.
About the ideal candidate:
* 5+ years of writer/editor experience, ideally for lifestyle magazines or websites.
* Avid reader of blogs and other media; explorer of all corners of the Internet.
* Able to generate all kinds of fresh and compelling ideas for posts and series in many different categories.
* Able to scout anything and everything, from beautiful homes to parents living around the world to unexpected products for gift guides to professional dog walkers to people with nutty collections to… anything.
* An innate sense of what really matters to people and what’s interesting.
* Knowledge of the online shopping world and a great sense of style for market work.
* Able to juggle tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines. Self-motivated and eager to take an idea or task and run with it.
* Curious, enthusiastic, efficient and solution oriented. Very organized with a strong attention to detail.
* Bonus: Experience with WordPress.
If you’re interested, please email: email@example.com with a letter about yourself, a resume, links to your website/blog/Instagram/Pinterest/Twitter (if you have them), 5 ideas for posts that you’d like to write or produce for Cup of Jo, and 10 links that would fit well into a Cup of Jo Friday round-up.
We’ll be reviewing the applications over the next few weeks and will be in touch shortly. Thank you so much for your time and interest! Very much looking forward to hearing from you. xoxo
(Photo by Crystin Moritz)